Big Solutions for the Small-scale: The Artisanal Gold Council is a not-for-profit dedicated to improving the opportunities, environment, and health
of the millions of people involved in Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining in
the developing world. Through doing so we aim to improve the health and safety of workers as well as decrease the environmental impact of the global gold sector.
- Lima, Peru (October 24 & 25, 2016) – Dr. Kevin Telmer will be moderating a panel discussion entitled Small and Artisanal Miners: Who are they and are they looking for investment? at the Latin America Mining & Investment Summit.
- Jakarta, Indonesia (November 2 - 4, 2016) - Richard Gutierrez will be a Keynote Speaker at this international conference entitled Community mining in Indonesia: Minimising harm, maximising benefits. Attendees include national and international experts from government, university, industry and NGO sectors, gathering to share their understanding of community mining in Indonesia.
- Kingston, Jamaica (October 18 & 19, 2016) - Dr. Arnaldo Sanchez was invited by the Pan American and World Health Organizations to participate in a gathering of experts discussing the Health Sector in the Implementation of the Minamata Convention on Mercury. His presentation is titled ASGM Public Heath Strategies: Possible Scenarios.
- Singapore (October 16 – 18, 2016) – Dr. Kevin Telmer will be speaking to the topic of Responsible Artisanal Gold at the 2016 London Bullion Market Association / London Platinum and Palladium Market Precious Metals Conference; LBMA/LPPM Precious Metals Conference.
- Washington, D.C. (September 28 – 30, 2016) – Dr. Kevin Telmer travels to be a special guest at the DC ASGM Roundtable Discussion hosted by NRDC, (presentation available here) and at an ASGM discussion hosted by US Department of State, International Labour Organization, and the US Department of Labor (presentation here).
- Entebbe, Uganda (September 15 & 16, 2016) – Eric Negulic of the AGC presented on general ASGM inventory methodologies and the process of developing country-specific ASGM inventories at the workshop on regional mercury trade and ASGM mercury inventories put on by COWI and the World Bank.
- Victoria, British Columbia (August 30, 2016) – AGC hosted a coordination meeting with Jane Dennison (USDOS) and Kirsten Dales (CIRDI) at AGC HQ. Potential future collaborations that build on past work were discussed.
- AGC attended the EITI's 7th Global Conference in Lima, February 24-25, 2016. To read more click here
Hugh Stephens on Board, February 2016:
Hugh Stephens has been appointed to the
board of directors of the Artisanal Gold Council. Hugh
is currently Vice Chair of the Canadian Committee on Pacific Economic Cooperation (CANCPEC), Senior Fellow at the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada, Executive Fellow at the School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary, and an associate faculty member in the School of Business at Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC
- New York, N.Y. - (December 11, 2015) – AGC was content creator and co-organizer of the Artisanal Gold Investment Models Workshop held to inform investors and the downstream gold sector on the opportunities to build businesses in the ASGM sector and encourage greater private sector engagement, along with NRDC, US Department of State and RESOLVE - link
Latest Blog Posts Our Blog
Currently the Artisanal Gold Council has an Request for Proposal out in order to develop an online gold purity calculator that miners can use in the field. Submission deadline is September 30th! The importance of determining gold purity is profoundly understood by the world’s refineries and is the basis for all final gold trade. However, in the field, the actual quantity of gold in a piece of dore (raw gold with some impurities) is difficult to ascertain. Read more...
Miner's Day in Peru (June 23rd, 2016)
In June the miner's of Chappara celebrated the 199th birthday of the Chaparra District in Peru with the 4th Meeting of Artisanal Miners of Chaparra and the AGC was there to introduce an upcoming project there. Read more...
International Water Day (March 22nd, 2016)
This year's UN World Water Day focuses attention on the close relationship between water and jobs. This is particularly true for the Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) sector where, for more than 15 million workers, water plays an integral part in processing operations, but also has important linkages to environmental and human health. Read more here.
Artisanal Mining and the SDGs (March 14th, 2016)
A starting point to realising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) requires an understanding of where and how our work intersects with them. The mining sector - large, medium, small and artisanal – is no exception. How the artisanal sector in particular unfolds and develops in the next 15 years will affect our collective ability to reach the SDGs. While developments in Artisanal and Small Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) can be linked to all of the SDGs, 8 of the most pertinent ones are discussed here, reflecting on what this means for the sector and for the AGC.
In Celebration of Women Artisanal Gold Miners (March 8th 2016)
Women play a variety of roles in artisanal and small scale gold mining (ASGM). This sector can be a vehicle to improve their socio-economic status, increase their decision-making power in communities, increase their financial independence, and enable women to take measures to protect their and their families’ health. Today we’d like to celebrate and highlight the contribution of women in artisanal and small scale gold mining, by taking a look at a new project that we are launching in Peru.
Read our new blog post about our gender work in Peru here.
Gold Can Do Good
Mercury Free Artisanal Gold
Interview with Dr Kevin Telmer
Interview with Dr Kevin Telmer, Executive Director of the AGC, at Dubai Precious Metals Conference 2014 by Bullion Bulletin. Insight on ASGM markets, supply chains and our work on the ground.
to watch the full interview.
Other Exciting Initiatives
A limited mintage of 104 coins were struck at Canada's Lasqueti Mint.
Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Copyright © 2011 Artisanal Gold Council
All Rights Reserved.
Gold Spot Price