Who We Are
The Artisanal Gold Council (AGC) is a not-for-profit organization based out of Victoria, BC, Canada dedicated to the sustainable development of ASGM communities in the developing world. Our philosophy is to work directly with ASGM communities and local experts to find practical solutions that address the unique circumstances that exist in different locations around the world. In order to stay true to this, the AGC maintains a minimal core staff in Canada and focuses on the capacitation and cooperation of international partners in the developing world.
Expertise in gold extraction, mercury science, and experience with miners in many countries over the past 15 years equip the AGC to provide technological, social, and policy solutions to implement field programs successfully.
Field based programs focused on sharing and encouraging better practices in ASGM are at the core of our primary activities. In addition to our field activities, the AGC works at the policy level, ensuring that ASGM communities are given a voice within national and international policy circles. The diversity of our work and our grass-roots approach allows us to effectively bridge field work with national and international policy.
Funding for projects is acquired through grant applications, donations, and from trade in gold. To donate to the AGC or inquire about our activities, contact us.
The AGC consists of a core staff, associates and a council of experts (Board of Directors) in areas of ASGM, economics, sustainable development, social responsibility, human and environmental health, and gold. Meetings and workshops are frequently integrated with other congresses to maximize AGC’s outreach, and for the professional development of AGC members.
What We Do
The AGC is dedicated to the sustainable development of ASGM communities in the developing world. Our philosophy is to work directly with ASGM communities and local experts to find practical solutions that address the unique circumstances that exist in different locations around the world. The AGC staff has over 15 years of extensive field experience in improving the ASGM sector in over 20 countries across the developing world (See our projects by country listing here). In addition to our field activities, we also actively contribute to national and international ASGM policy and due diligence (Read our news archives here), and ASGM intellectual property (Check our resources here).
To facilitate this, we created and maintain the online global ASGM mercury inventory resource: www.MercuryWatch.org.
Artisanal Gold Council Strategic Areas:
1. ASGM Best Practices
- Introduce technological innovations and solutions to miners in order to improve practices
- Designing and implementing practical solutions for the reduction and elimination of mercury in ASGM
- Administering training and capacitation to ASGM communities and local partners in the areas of mine safety, mercury reduction, formalization, and environmental and social awareness
2. ASGM Inventories
- Provide robust, detailed and reliable information and data on the ASGM sector in the developing world
- Provide training to enable local experts to conduct thorough national inventories.
3. ASGM Policy and Markets Development
- Informing and advising on local, national, regional, and international policy as it pertains to ASGM
- Creating innovative market-based solutions to increase the profitability and sustainability of the ASGM sector
- Assisting ASGM communities in diversifying their opportunities and saving for future post-mining generations
- Developing Strategic National Action Plans, to bring countries into compliance with the Minamata Convention.